Sunday, December 02, 2007

LAZY SUNDAY #4: THE BUFFALO

Another Sunday hybrid offering of cool things you only find on the Net and keeping awareness of the WGA Strike at the forefront.

This week's Day of Solidarity in Toronto ended with a bunch of us "occupying" a coffee shop to warm up. At my table, we got talking about the human differences between ourselves and the conglomerates and their producing class.

I mean, we're all people -- what part of their DNA has been altered to bring out that streak of greed and entitlement; a trait brazenly exhibited a day later by the AMPTP's "groundbreaking" offer of an 88% rollback to our earnings.

A writer friend hit it exactly. "They think they're the predators and we're the Gazelles." Now describing any of the writers at that table as Gazelles requires the kind of imaginative power that creates great movies and television, but it got me thinking...

How do you deal with predators?

Three things struck me about this video. First, never take classic archetypes for granted. Second, there is real strength in sticking together. And third -- well, just listen to the people watching this event...



Hang in there, everybody. Be strong. Stay together. The Audience is on our side.

We can win this thing.

1 comment:

Brandon Laraby said...

Yeah! Battle at Kruger! I love that video (one of my all-time Youtube faves).

You know that predator/prey analogy may have some footing to it but only if we allow ourselves to believe that we exist to be eaten. Remember, without 'prey' the Predators starve to death (and rather quickly I might add...)

If there's one thing I've realized in my short time on this Earth it's that the only reason people ever treat me poorly is because I allow them to; Especially those with 'power' over me.

They play off my fear that I have so much to lose - and maybe I do, in the smaller scheme of things. But you know what? I'm still breathing, I'm still writing and the last person who ever talked to me like that is now out of business.

Funny how people in general don't want to work with those who make them feel like shit.

It's its own sort of natural selection, really.

I think Seth McFarlane sums it up beautifully in his recent WGA speech. You can see that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqRN1t2ZQc

They may not always like us but they most definitely need us.

And, if you really think that you're helpless as 'prey' I urge you to take a look at this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPMD7DHtuU

Stick together, be strong and be proud of the gift we've been given: The ability to communicate the things dancing in our heads, to translate them - articulately - from dreams into words and SHARE them with others who've never even met us, no matter who or where they are.

That's pretty damn powerful if you ask me.

Cheers!
Brandon