Sunday, August 03, 2014

Lazy Sunday # 335: The Hoverbike

All my life I’ve been promised a flying car.

When I was a kid, they were featured on the cover of just about every other issue of Popular Mechanics. My dad was certain that by the time I was old enough to get a driver’s license, I’d need pilot certification as well.

But long before I started Driver’s Ed, the Flying car had become more science fiction than automotive fact. And not even serious science fiction. They were considered on a par with the wise-cracking robot maids and auto-hygiene machines of “The Jetsons”.

“Star Wars” speeders gave me brief hope. But even that was dashed when I realized George Lucas was more interested in creating toy franchises than creating the future.

But now I’ve got some hope I’ll soon fly to my destinations rather than drive. For Australian inventor Chris Malloy is close to perfecting the Hoverbike.

At the moment his working prototype is 1/3 scale and available as a high-end drone through a Kickstarter campaign you can access here.

I did my first shoot with a drone a couple of weeks ago. And despite one hard landing that chipped a GoPro housing, the results were spectacular.

And if drones will soon be considered safe enough to deliver Pizzas and books from Amazon instead of just high explosives, the airborne commuter can’t be that far away.

Here’s a taste of what Malloy is doing. I can’t wait.

Enjoy Your Sunday.

No comments: