Sunday, February 25, 2018

Lazy Sunday # 511: Never Die Easy

The latest version of the Olympic Games wrapped up last night, and given that they were happening half a world away and broadcast live in the middle of the night, I didn't think I'd pay much attention.

But I did. As surrounded as they are by corruption and nationalist bullshit, I love the Olympic Games. Even sports I wouldn't normally a) pay any attention to or b) remotely understand.

I've never been much of an athlete. I played baseball and hockey, curled a little, wasn't bad at tennis or bowling and was absolute crap at golf. But I've always admired those who dedicate their lives to something like conquering the half-pipe or mastering the bobsled run.

So I lost a lot of sleep over the last few weeks and in that twilight dream-state when one of those "aren't the games grand" commercials was on, I got to wondering if there was a sport I could've excelled at that might have won me a medal of some kind.

Or at my age -- is there one I might still attempt to share in the "thrill of victory or the agony of defeat".

And maybe there is...

Enjoy Your Sunday.

Never Die Easy: The Dag Aabye Story from Justin Pelletier on Vimeo.

No comments: